SAA Student Membership

If you’re thinking about a career in archives, check out SAA’s student page.  They provide an overview of the profession, which ranges from preservation, organization, cataloging, reference, administrative functions and records management to outreach, grant writing, and digital collections.  Plus, read up on their discounted membership rates for students.

What archive related classes can I take at UW?

  • LIS 505 – Archival and Manuscript Services (3)
  • LIS 507 – Preservation and Conservation of Library Materials (3)
  • LIS 508 – History of Recorded Information (4)
  • LIS 526 – Government Publications (3)
  • LIS 531 – Catalogs, Cataloging, and Classification (4)
  • LIS 534 – Indigenous Systems of Knowledge (3)
  • LIS 535 – Classification Theory (3)
  • INFX 537 – Construction of Indexing Languages (4)
  • And many more!

The University of Washington also offers a Master of Arts in Museology, and many of the electives in this program are relevant to archives, including issues of Fundraising, Planning Exhibits, Preservation/Conservation and more. Additionally, all courses from the Textual Studies Certificate Program may count towards the MLIS.


How can I gain experience working in archives?

Volunteer work, Internships, and Directed Fieldworks are an excellent way to gain hands-on experience working in archives. See our links page for ideas about local institutions that have had past opportunities. Special Collections in Allen Library also hires student workers.  John Bolcer, UW University Archivist, also recommends doing research projects in libraries to gain archives experience on the other side of the desk.

A few examples UW students have gained archival experience are:

On Campus Employment

University of Washington’s Special Collections is often looking for student workers or volunteers. Work may be available in areas such as:

  • Book Arts Collection
  • Digital Collection
  • Manuscript Collection
  • Pacific Northwest Collection
  • Visual Materials Collection
  • University Archives

Please see the Special Collections staff directory for contact information.  Jobs are also listed on the UW Library Student Employment page.

Where can I pursue a Master’s Degree in Archive Studies?

Western Washington University offers a one-year program to students with an MLIS degree. The SAA website has a guide to certificate programs.


How can I get involved with SAA-UW?

Contact the SAA-UW ( to find out how to join the organization, follow our Facebook or Instagram page, or attend an event. There are many opportunities to volunteer and get involved!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s